Thursday, October 3, 2013

10/3 IL Migration Report

Tonight's winds. Click to view
live.
Hey all!

So one thing I'd like to clear up real quick is what happened last night. To start, winds, fairly strong and southerly, were not conducive to migration. But as mentioned yesterday, there was noise in the radar indicating light migration over much of state, and even some moderate migration along the lakefront. So why were birds still migrating? As of yet, I still don't have a great explanation. I can only tell you that winds were a little weaker and more easterly near the lakefront, which may have caused the slightly heavier movements observed there. Regardless, as I stated in my note in the IOS's Meadowlark, sometimes, nature breaks the rules. In this case, it gave us some new birds, and that's fine by me. Anyway, on to tonight...

Tonight's paltry migration
I have a similar story tonight to last night's, but in the case the radar really isn't lighting up much at all. Various storm systems combined with relatively strong southerly winds are making tonight the
wrong night to migrate, and the birds seem to be heeding this.

Looking forward at the wind forecast, we still can't quite see the light at the end of the metaphorical tunnel...southerly winds are still forecast to dominate the Prairie State at least through Saturday. I'll keep you all up to date.

Cool. That's all for now, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment